Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Bit of Background

I suppose the first post in a blog should give you readers a bit of background into who I am. Well, let me first say that I am the (diehard) Red Sox fan portion of this blog. Also by default that makes me the smarter pea in this pod.

Now, let me recount a tale that will tell you all need to know about us both, and our passion for sport.

It was a crisp October night in 2003, the Yankees and Red Sox were engaging in their titanical battle for the ALCS title. It was Game #7 to be precise. The Red Sox had jumped out to an early lead as Peter Martinez was spinning a gem, carving another niche in Red Sox lore. Now as fate would have it my co-poster and I would be roomates in college that year, but, alas, we would not be watching the game together (he was with other yankee fans presumably worshipping satan or whatever it is they do). Anyway, with the Red Sox comfortably ahead entering the middle innings I was growing more nervous by the second. Surely this can't be happening, and my dreams couldn't possibly be realizing before my eyes. Just then as the 6th inning was approaching (or ending its all a blur to me), my roommate entered, blood boiling, his eyes a cold, murderous, red. Before I can say a word he says to me quietly "Congratulations". Remember folks the revolution ('04) hadn't happened yet, this was a time where fate was against us and even the slightest jinx could set the world's axis of its tilt and thus end the Red Sox's chances against the yankees. A mere "congratulations"...and it was over for me. I said, "It's not over yet"(praying this would set back his jinxing word, pulling the switcheroo on the baseball gods), and the rest as we say, is history. God, I hate being the smart one.

Enjoy.

-Chris

No comments: