Wednesday, March 7, 2007

First Impressions

Well Im not going to lie to you, when you told me that you had drafted barry bonds in the 10th round, I thought to myself: "Dear God."

Now looking at your team I think you have yourself a formidable squad. I played one of these head-to-head points leagues for the first time last year and from what I saw you need a solid-to-great pitching staff (unless you are putting the league's best lineup out every week). Im a big advocate of pitching (like yourself) because I feel like I can squeeze alot of sleepers and make the right value picks in the middle rounds for hitters. This strategy doesn't work for everyone, but Ive become comfortable with this over the years.

On to your roster. I actually love the Johan Santana pick right there. The only 2 guys Im taking over Johan are Pujols and Soriano, but after pujols at 1 I can make a case for about 8 guys going in any order for the next picks. Hafner in round 2 was completely necessary to balance your squad, I think he wins the MVP this year if he plays 150 games. The man is a freak of nature.

It's hard to judge a draft without being there as it unfolds but for the next picks Ill give you some benefit of the doubt in that there was a run on infielders and you had to grab some value. The pick I most disagree with is pick 3 and Brandon Webb. To me he's just not that clear cut guy way above the rest of the starters you could pick up a few rounds later. Starting pitching is so deep and once you are past Johan its all the same really. That being said you definitely have a nice 1-2 punch there.

I think McCann, Hall, and Sanchez are solid and the Prince Fielder pick in the 11th round I love. Im pretty high on this guy and if this isnt the breakout year I think '08 will be. As for your relief pitchers, whatever. Just like every other year there will be people who start getting saves who weren't projected to in spring training, just get those guys and you will be fine. Screw relief pitchers.

The best pick of your draft, HANDS DOWN, is your 16th round nabbing of Alex Rios. The guy is a stud in the making and had it not been for some freak leg injury last year this guy was priming himself for a much earlier pick.

As far as your bench goes, I can't knock anything there, you probably won't play alot of your bench pitchers unless their matchups for the week are favorable anyway. If a hitter gets hot for a month you can easily ride that with alot of positional options on your bench.

Overall I like your team. If Bonds stays healthy, he's a mortal lock for 30+ homers and that pick will look genius.

-LS

No comments: